Friday, December 08, 2006

How To Hear God - Silent Listening

What can we do to develop our spiritual hearing?

One of the things we can do is learn to still our minds and listen.

Listening prayer is a lost art.

Sometimes we simply need to sit down, not ask anything and just listen.

Have you ever tried just listening?

It's in those still, quiet times that we begin to sense God's heartbeat.

It's a bit like tuning to a radio station but you are tuning to God’s thoughts. Once you know what God's voice is like, it's easier to find it again.

Find a quiet place - little noises may be distracting, particularly at first.
Get into a comfortable position and relax.
Close your eyes to shut out distractions.
Wait and listen.
Wait some more.

God promised to lead us by His Spirit and he told us that his sheep will know His voice.

Decide to believe what God says and agree with His Word.

Say to yourself, 'Because I follow Jesus, I will know the voice of God. Thank you Father that I do know your voice and hear you speaking to me.'

Put your faith into action.
Open the ears of your heart and start listening for the voice of the Spirit.

The more you trust His voice and follow His leadings, the more clearly you'll hear Him.

Before long, hearing from God won't be something that happens every now and then, it will be part of you daily life, almost as natural as breathing.

What is the Spirit of God telling you today?

He's waiting for you to stop and tune in.


If you're ready for some more encouragement I recommend that you read 'Ever Increasing Faith' by Smith Wigglesworth. Wigglesworth was a very ordinary man who exercised extraordinary faith in God. God used him to work many miracles. If you e-mail me and put Wigglesworth in the subject line I'll send you a PDF file of 'Ever Increasing Faith'.

2 comments:

clairec12003 said...

I can struggle with both finding the space and focus to listen.

I think we have a tendency - i know I do! To rush through things which shuts down the time and mental energy to silently listen. I always feel a slight guiltiness at the idea of simply being, when there are so many projects out there to do. I am working on the time & space to create more time for this sitting & being, part of my 2007 goals!

Lynne Lee said...

It's a great goal Claire!
I find that when I actually take the time to stop and listen I get more done with more peace - strange but true.