Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Visions and Impartations - Catherine Brown

Flying with a Golden Eagle
Visions and Impartations in the Night Season

Catherine Brown

Solomon Receives Impartation While Dreaming

Did you know that God can impart a supernatural gift to you during your sleep? It's true! We are blessed to read of such an impartation of "wisdom and discernment" given to King Solomon during a dream (1 Kings 3). Wisdom is one of the nine gifts of the Spirit (read 1 Corinthians 12:7-11).
I Kings 3:5-9, "At Gibeon the Lord appeared to Solomon during the night in a dream, and God said, 'Ask for whatever you want Me to give you.'"
Solomon answered,
"You have shown great kindness to Your servant, my father David, because he was faithful to You and righteous and upright in heart. But I am only a little child and do not know how to carry out my duties. Your servant is here among the people You have chosen, a great people, too numerous to count in number. So give Your servant a discerning heart to govern Your people and to distinguish between right and wrong. For who is able to govern this great people of Yours?"
The Lord was pleased that Solomon asked Him for wisdom and discernment and the Lord said to him in Verses 10-15,
"'Since you have asked for this and not for long life or wealth for yourself, nor have asked for the death of your enemies but for discernment in administering justice, I will do what you have asked. I will give you a wise and discerning heart, so that there will never have been anyone like you, nor will there ever be. Moreover, I will give you what you have not asked for - both riches and honor - so that in your lifetime you will have no equal among kings. And if you walk in My ways and obey My statutes and commands as David your father did, I will give you a long life.'Then Solomon awoke - and he realized it had been a dream."
Solomon returned to Jerusalem and offered sacrificial offerings before the Lord and then gave a feast for all in his court. Shortly after this, two prostitutes came to the king and stood before him asking him to judge between who was the true mother of a baby child. One of the women's sons had died and only one child remained alive. Solomon had to execute a wise ruling and choose the authentic mother. Ultimately, Solomon's words and actions revealed the true mother's heart in verse 26,
"The woman whose son was alive was filled with compassion for her son, and said to the king, 'Please my lord, give her the living baby! Don't kill him!'"
And in verse 28 we read,

"When all Israel heard the verdict the king had given, they held the king in awe, because they saw that he had wisdom from God to administer justice."

The entire Israelite community affirmed that their king had received a gift from God. We are privileged to study the Scriptures and understand that this wisdom and gift of discernment was imparted to Solomon during a dream!

There is no reason why we too, cannot exercise faith in a similar manner and have an expectation to receive instruction, wisdom and much more from the Lord during our sleeping (and waking).

Flying with the Golden Eagle

Before going on a mission trip to California in early 2006, I had two significant dreams/night visions, one of which I will share with you here. In my dream, I was flying over the streets of California late at night. I was aware that I was being carried along by the Spirit of the Lord. As I swooped through the streets, it was a most exhilarating experience. Suddenly, I became aware of a magnificent golden eagle that was flying ahead of me. I caught glimpses of the golden glory of the eagle from time-to-time as we sped along through the night.

In a split second or pre-emptive discernment, I realized that I was about to collide with the golden eagle. I turned the corner in my dream and did just that - I collided with the beautiful Heavenly being in a face-to-face encounter; and at the same time, I felt a rush of God's glory fill my entire being. I knew right away that I had received an impartation from the Lord. I had complete peace in my heart and awoke to feel the effects of the glory of God in my human frame. (Prophet Daniel describes this, "After that, in my vision at night" in Daniel 7:7.)

My spiritual father, Hugh Black, who has now gone home to be with the Lord, co-labored with the Reverend Duncan Campbell in the Lewis Revivals of the 20th century (1939 and 1949). He often spoke to me of the angels appearing in the Hebridean Islands and how the glory of the Lord was evident on the earth for days after such an encounter - it could be felt in both the body and also seen with the human eye in the earth's atmosphere.

Lifted By the Spirit of God

It is occasionally difficult to find accurate words to convey supernatural experiences. However, we can look to God's Word to find a holy foundation. Prophet Ezekiel writes of his experience of being raised up by the Spirit in various locations, providing us with a solid Biblical perspective of such an occurrence. My description of "flying" with the Lord is simply an alternative way of speaking about being lifted by the Spirit of the Lord and correlates with the experience of Ezekiel in relation to encountering God's glory. Ezekiel 11:1,

"Then the Spirit lifted me up and brought me to the gate of the houses of the Lord that face east."

Ezekiel 11:24-25,

"Then the Spirit lifted me up and brought me to the exiles in Babylonia in the vision given by the Spirit of God. Then the vision I had seen went up from me, and I told the exiles everything the Lord had shown me."
Revelation of Glory and in California

Furthermore, my description of the glory experience is also part of Ezekiel's revelatory encounter too. On several occasions, Ezekiel links being lifted in the Spirit (as in verse 24 above) with receiving a fresh revelation of the glory of God.

Ezekiel 11:22-23,

"Then the cherubim, with the wheels beside them, spread their wings, and the glory of the God of Israel was above them. The glory of the Lord went up from within the city and stopped above the mountain east of it."

Since we have a Biblical blueprint for receiving an impartation during a dream (as Solomon did), I also have no problem in exercising faith that God truly imparted a measure of His glory to me during the dream experience.

You may well ask, "What is the purpose of such an encounter?" I believe this particular glory impartation was for serving Him in California. Every genuine glory encounter with the Lord births a worship-filled response in our hearts along with a desire to shower His love on others.

So what happened during my trip to California? The dream depicted me on the streets, and whilst much of my time was spent ministering in churches to God's beloved children, I was also privileged to go out onto the streets with good friends to minister with the homeless of Northern California.

It was here that we saw the Glory of God manifest in anointed preaching as two more precious souls gave their lives in commitment to Christ; it was here that we saw God's glory poured out in healing miracles and precious words of Christ's life-giving prophecy.

It was on the streets that Jesus healed the darkness of depression that held a dear one bound; it was here that the Lord healed the dislocated shoulder of a young homeless man, whose body was covered with huge spider bites. It was here that Jesus came with tenderness and ministered to a young couple about to be married, pouring out words of healing and hope.

Thus the glory impartation had been for a divine purpose - to minister Christ's miracle working love to those to whom I had been sent.

The Living Creatures

Perhaps the only fully unanswered question remains in the interpretation of the "golden eagle." Some interpret eagles as symbolic of the prophetic ministry; others interpret them as part of apostolic ministry. Prophet Ezekiel describes the living creatures as having a face like an eagle in Ezekiel 10:14, "Each of the cherubim had four faces: one face was that of a cherub, the second the face of a man, the third the face of a lion, and the fourth the face of an eagle" (see also Ezekiel 1:10).

The Book of Revelation describes the four living creatures that worship around the throne of the Lamb in this way in Revelation 4:7-8,

"The first living creature was like a lion, the second was like an ox, the third had a face like a man, the fourth was like a flying eagle. Each of the four living creatures had six wings and was covered with eyes all around even under the wings. Day and night they never stop saying, 'Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was, and is and is to come.'"

I cannot say with absolute accuracy whether I encountered a living creature or not. I do know that the angelic being was Heaven sent and imparted a measure of the glory of the Lord to me in the vision/dream experience. I also believe that in sharing the dream, the believers of California were encouraged and moved to faith-filled responses. As a people of faith, we are called to exercise faith and discernment. I interpreted the dream as a sign of God's glory given for worship and for mission. A sign with interpretation translates into prophetic understanding. Prophetic understanding births further faith in our hearts and releases destiny as we respond to the glory of God in our lives.

Interpreting Dreams

In the life of the prophet, Daniel, we are able to see interesting interactions with revelations he perceived in the Heavenly realms. In Daniel 10:1 we read, "...a revelation was given to Daniel (who was called Belteshazzar). Its message was true and it concerned a great war." The Scriptures clearly stated Daniel received "revelation," however, verse 1 continues, "The understanding of the message came to him in a vision." In other words, the "revelation" and the "understanding" about the revelation did not come at the same time, but one followed the other.
At a different time, Daniel was praying and repenting for sins in his nation when the angel Gabriel came to speak with him. Daniel 9:21-22,

"...while I was still in prayer, Gabriel, the man I had seen in the earlier vision, came to me in swift flight about the time of the evening sacrifice. He instructed me and said to me, 'Daniel, I have now come to give you insight and understanding.'"

God sent an angel to help His servant gain insight and understanding. The angel Gabriel instructed Daniel in respect to the revelation, even though God had given Daniel and his three associates,

"...knowledge and understanding of all kinds of literature and learning. And Daniel could understand visions and dreams of all kinds." Daniel 1:17

It is humbling and helpful to see that the mighty man of God, anointed and appointed, still needed help at times with interpretation. It is faith building to know that our Father in Heaven releases angels to instruct and assist His children with revelation and revelatory experiences!

Seven - A Sign of Completion

Before leaving California, the Lord drew my attention to "seven magnificent eagles" flying together in the air, just as I was approaching my final preaching destination. This was not a vision, but seven "real" eagles that hovered overhead. The Bibles teaches us that God rested on the seventh day and we may safely interpret the number seven as perfection and completion. I left California with God's perfect peace in my heart and a feeling of having completed my Kingdom assignment.

May the God of Israel grant you faith and favor as you pursue His dream for your life and explore the wonderful world of dreams and visions with the Holy Spirit and the angels.

To God be the glory.

Catherine Brown Gatekeepers Global MinistriesEmail: admin@gatekeepers.org.uk
As posted on teh Elijah list

http://www.elijahlist.com/

No comments: